Welcome...

We invite you to remember your loved ones who have died by committing an act of kindness in their honor. Love, kindness, generosity, sharing, these are the gifts we can give to them.

Saturday, December 22, 2012

December 22, 2012



From Cindy:
My friend Jeannie from the MISS Foundation shared your story about your beautiful son.
My son (who was born the same month and year as Theo) had a brain tumor removed from his cerebellum when he was 2.
            I am touched and humbled how strong a parent can be.
            To fill Theo's stocking, I put together a bag of food---Ritz crackers, pull-top canned goods, nutrition bars---and drove to an intersection where there are homeless folks asking for help.
            I handed the bag to an older man. On the frigid night we are having, I hope he retires for the night and gets out of the cold and eats. He replied, 'God bless you, sweetheart.'
            The bag also contained a note: In memory of Baby Theo.
            I also mentioned my son.
            Theo is inspiring the good in people, as I've seen by submissions and 'shares'.
                        Thank you.


From Kristin Reed:
The last couple of years I haven't known what to submit for this, but this year I have a better sense:
            For the last two years I've been facilitating a support group for people who've been incarcerated at OAR in Richmond (a job I owe to Peter Henry, who very kindly recommended me when he was away two summers ago). I normally only see my group members in our weekly meeting, but this year I volunteered at OAR's day long Christmas party, where we served food and offered clients gifts to give their families. I realized that afternoon that one of the men I met with that day lives under the overpass near my home. I see him frequently, actually, though I've never realized he also spends time at OAR. 
            A lot of our clients are homeless, and a day of free food and small items of clothing can make a big impact. Some of the women we work with were so happy to find small gifts for their children that they cried when thanking volunteers. 
            This isn't really "my" act of kindness; it belongs to the staff at OAR who spent an incredible amount of time collecting donations and food for the clients. It was, though, one of the few things I did this year that felt truly in the spirit of the holidays, and as though it might be a nice way to remember your little boy. 
            Happy holidays, and thank you for commemorating him in such a thoughtful manner.


From Daphne Rankin:
Jamie,
Each year, I do an act of kindness in honor of Theo. This year, I'm
doing things differently. My first act of kindness was to give my
favorite waitress and mother of 4 a 200% tip to help pay for
Christmas.
            Then Newtown happened. This year, Theo and I are honoring those 20
children. I am working on a total of 21 acts of kindness.
            I hope you and your dear family have a very joyous holiday season.



From Liz Canfield:
Hi, Jamie!  I sure do miss y'all!  I wanted you to know that Theo's pic and candle are still on my mantle in my house and I lit the candle for him this past weekend and we had a little chat, as we do sometimes.
            I love that you do this, and though I did feed a bunch of meters on Franklin Street today and try to do other silly random acts like that, I just wanted you to know that Theo is still very much in my thoughts and heart, more than I need to be mentioned on the blog.  I will never forget him, our little dragonfly:)
            Much love to you and yours,
                        xoxoxo liz

No comments: