Welcome...

We invite you to remember your loved ones who have died by committing an act of kindness in their honor. Love, kindness, generosity, sharing, these are the gifts we can give to them.

Thursday, December 24, 2009

December 24

I was with my daughter Emily and her team at a basketball skills session with a new skills coach. He had his 18 month old little girl there. She was adorable and ran around the court while her dad was setting up drills and working with the girls.  I talked to her dad, the skills coach, about her age. He is probably in his early 20's. He said that he did not know what to get her for Christmas. He said his wife wanted him to get her a Barbie Car, but he didn't think that was it. I told him that kids her age need the 3 b's, bubbles, blocks and books. He was intrigued and asked what kind of bubbles, we also talked about the kind of blocks that kids really like too. Finally, I said, 'Really, books are the most important. Do you read to her?' He said he did not. I then told him to read to her every night. He asked if sports magazines counted. I said they did. Practice ended and I went on with my week. Well, tonight, I bought 2 books for him to give to his daughter for Christmas. I will give them to him tomorrow at practice. I am really excited. I realized he did not know to read to his daughter, and probably did not know where to buy books for an 18 month old. So, for Theo, and my mom, who died in November, I bought him 'Brown Bear Brown Bear, What Do You See?' by Eric Carle, and 'Moo, Baa, La La La' by Sandra Boynton.
Have the best Christmas you can.

Carol

No comments: